Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TXU conspiracy?

Remember my post about my signing up for a new electricity provider? I now know why deregulation isn't really working in Texas.

First it's worth noting that I signed with Direct Energy. They told me they would be sending me a welcome packet and I had three days to agree to switch. No welcome packet arrived. I called, they hemmed and hawed and said they would in fact be able to send another one. It never came. My electricity switched over on the third of this month.

Now to TXU. I get a bill that includes June and the balance of July with a $200 cancellation fee. Now I have had auto bank withdrawal on the account for years but they didn't withdraw June?

I call TXU to straighten this out. After the auto system doesn't recognize the last four digits of my SS number I finally get a human. She says they have had "lots of trouble with the automated system" and she will make sure the amount is withdrawn. I then explain how I don't owe the $200 cancellation. It's a minimum one year program I signed up for in November 2006!

She places me on hold, for a long while and then the phone rings and someone new picks it up!? I explain what happened and then start over. He then transfers me to billing, I start over, they transfer me to a "specialty agent, I start over, he says he is in sales and I need a specialty agent and transfers me...to voicemail. Not anyone's voicemail, just the general mail box. I leave a message while laughing.

Then I start the clock at 1:03. Call back, start over, transfer to Jem, boy is she. Puts me on hold and then comes back and asks me if I am still in Texas and then puts me on hold? Now can you think of a good reason for her to ask me that other than to determine if I have transferred electricity use to another company in Texas? 1:07 she comes back and says she needs to transfer me to Specialty Accounts, I protest to no avail. On hold, music, connect...to the voicemail box again.

I re-call, its now 1:12 and ask for a supervisor. Puts me on hold 1:14, music at 1:16, Alessandro answers at 1:18. By 1:30 he is getting this figured out and agrees I don't owe the $200 and says it will come off my bill, I say great, what's my confirmation number...he cant give me one. He can give me an "investigation number" and assures me it's fixed.

I mention the auto bank draft problem and he is surprised because the reason they didn't draft it was because I was closing the account. That's what they always do...

I pay the bill with him, less the $200, which he can give me a confirmation number for immediately.

Any doubts this isn't over yet?

Bottom Line - I spend years with TXU as a customer. The minute I sign somewhere else their customer service goes down the tubes...coincidence? I spent 36 minutes after the first three transfers getting this far. Any chance "specialty accounts" is how you get rid of a non-loyal customer like me?

Just for laughs I call the PUC to see if I have a legitimate complaint and get their automated system that directs me to the Electricity line that directs me to the Internet and if you push a button its puts you back at the beginning. I went to the web site and sent them an email and asked them to call me.

Any chance the PUC employs ex utility people?

11 comments:

  1. Mark:

    I'm sorry you experienced problems with the TXU Energy call center. If you will contact me at tom.stewart@txu.com, I contact our customer issues management team to try to verify that this issue is resolved or to help assist resolve any related issue.

    Tom Stewart
    Communications Director
    TXU Energy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... How nice of Tom to offer his special services, BUT how did TXU find and respond to this blog post in only three hours?! I can only assume they must be paying someone (Google perhaps) for being notified of any TXU related internet posts? Is this a good thing...? And should it take a public complaint to get decent service?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, no kidding...btw...no calls back from the messages I left on the black-hole voice mailbox.

    My wife commented that it was odd that they would treat me so poorly once I switched because you would think they would want you to switch back...makes sense...maybe too much sense?

    If I were them and had a customer switching I would treat them like a Prince and make them wish they were back at TXU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys seriously, anyone can go to Google Alerts and simply type in TXU and you will be notified anytime something goes out on the internet that TXU is mentioned. Great FREE service Google has for its members. I applaud TXU for keeping up on internet activity dealing with their company. I went through something horrible with Stream and blogged about it and 6 months later I am still dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess they want to avoid having a song written about them at all cost.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQNWNN_HS4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, but can you imagine how much stuff that is? (I use Google alerts for my business.)

    I'll try a TXU watch and see what happens...I'll bet it doesn't pick up these comments...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw something like that happen on another blog. Someone posted about a bad experience with Orkin, and presto someone from Orkin posted asking her to call.

    I guess I won't mention that if a company had decent customer service in the first place, and your problem sounds systemic, not just a bad apple, they wouldn't have to be monitoring the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talked to the gentleman at TXU at length. He in fact deals with the press etc and yes they are trying to manage their image.

    To his credit his method of managing the image is one of humility not denial. He understands their challenges and was willing to go to bat for me at least on making sure the $200 is properly taken off my bill.

    I managed to throw in my other concerns while I was at it...

    But overall customer service is so bad these days that a company has to go above and beyond being bad, to even get called on it...congrats TXU!

    No answer from the two voice mails yet :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. No response from the PUC. They definitely worked for a utility. On to something more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was checking my google alerts and found this from the PUC...

    Amigo Energy

    1,035 complaints from July 2008 to June 2009.

    778 were investigated by the PUC.

    326 were dismissed.

    452 were found to be rule violations.

    Direct Energy

    1,072 complaints from January 2008 to June 2009.

    981 were investigated by the PUC.

    706 were dismissed.

    275 were found to be rule violations.

    TXU Energy

    1,852 complaints in 2009.

    1,475 were investigated by the PUC.

    1,289 were dismissed.

    186 were found to be rule violations.

    Note: The total number of complaints includes duplicates, the PUC says.

    Of course it doesn't show a "rate of complaint" per the size of the customer base...

    ReplyDelete
  11. An іmprеѕsive shaгe! ӏ have just fогωardеd this onto а сolleаgue who has
    been conduсting a littlе homewοrk on this.
    And hе actuallу bought me lunch ѕimply bеcаuse I ѕtumbled uρon it foг him.
    .. lοl. So let me reωord this.
    ... Thanks foг the meal!! Вut yеah, thаnx fог spеnding tіmе to diѕcuss thiѕ toρiс hеге on youг internet site.


    My рage; core training with pialtes

    ReplyDelete