Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Frontloading clothes washer

I envied my neighbors LG front loaders. I was just imagining all the water and energy savings form the washer and the dryer. They looked pretty fancy too.

Whenever I asked her about them she would kind of grumble. It seemed like a sore subject. I of course started extolling the virtues of less water, detergent, higher spin rates so the clothes would be dryer going into the dryer. What's not to love?

Last week she told me, in a fit, with passion. "The whole thing's a scam!" "The dang things take forever to wash a load!"

I was shocked. Then I went and did some research on consumer reports, etc etc.

I found that models use 90 minutes a load and some use 100 minutes to wash some clothes. I could do better than that stream-side with a rock! An hour and a half! No wonder she was mad.

I also noticed how little anyone said about it and how hard you had to look to find that info. They really are downplaying this issue in my view. Consumer Reports doesn't even have that as a criteria for ratings.

I think I am going to go hug my old top loader and tell it I am sorry. And then time the next load.

2 comments:

  1. I believe I read something about their growing mold easily too.

    My big problem with them is if you come in muddy from the garden, I don't know how an itty bitty amount of water is going to handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that too, the door gaskets are especially prone. They suggest you wipe them down and leave the door open and use a special soap and....

    The new Samsung models don't seem to have that problem but for $1200 I would expect them to deodorize the whole house.

    The part that's especially funny is how the repair guys talk about all the complaints when using them on a wood floor as it's like a herd of bison during spin cycle due to the high RPM.

    Now they are coming out with low water top loaders??? Back to stream side soon...would you call that a side loader?

    ReplyDelete