Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My diswasher is an enigma

I have a fancy Euro dishwasher from ASKO. I put it in in 2001 to match all the other stainless steel stuff. I didn't really care about the energy use then.

Fast forward to today.

I call ASKO North America to get the energy use numbers on this dishwasher. I can't test it myself because the unit is hard wired in...

They don't have the numbers! Their manuals etc all talk about energy savings etc but no numbers. Hmmm, this makes me suspicious. I wonder if their proud proclamation of now being Energy Star compliant is new for the product or just new for them. I wonder if the old product I have is an energy hog. I wonder if the unit is efficient but they want me to buy a new one on the promise of more efficiency.

(Btw, I had no trouble getting energy use numbers on my old refrigerators.)

Bottom Line - I have to test the dang thing and that isn't going to be easy. These Euros are always preaching about their energy consciousness, so why can't I get some numbers?

Update: Same day.

I found a Canadian website that had old Energy Star figures for my dishwasher. It uses 1.29 KWHs per wash. That doesn't tell you how much it uses without electric heat dry. However it is interesting to note that Energy Star numbers have changed over time. It's also interesting to know ASKO "didn't have them" but Canada's Energy Star did.

Does that mean if I buy an Energy Star appliance today thinking it adds value to my home and they change the rules later I no longer have an Energy Star appliance? Or an Energy Star home?

I'd like to know how much I save by using air dry, Ill bet it's a lot. As for water use and savings, I still cant find that. Btw, the new units from ASKO use .853 KWHs per wash.

2 comments:

  1. When I went dishwasher shopping a year or two ago, it was like pulling teeth to get the energy numbers. It isn't even one of the sort by items on the GE appliance website, you had to pull up the pdf manual for each model and look in there.

    I eventually formed the deep suspicion that the supposed superiority of the vastly more expensive European models might be based solely on the fact that they tend not to have a heated dry cycle. Heck, I can turn off heated dry switch, which is what I do with the GE supposedly energy efficient model I bought.

    I have to remember to reset it after a power failure because it defaults to heated dry, but other then that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the Bosch that doesn't heat dry, mine does.

    I'm with you, what's the big secret here? It seems the perfect way to get people to feel their existing unit is obsolete...and sell a new one.

    ReplyDelete