Friday, August 14, 2009

Washing machine update

My old top loading machine takes 40 minutes to do a load of laundry. Compare that to 90 minutes for the average front loader.

I guess the next question is...how long to dry?

My dryer takes 40 to 45 for average clothes and around 60 minutes for towels. The front loader takes at least 60 minutes for any load. If you're doing consecutive loads it doesn't really matter since the washer is still the pacing item.

Another "feature" of your front loading washer is that once you start a cycle...you can't stop. If you push the wrong button...you will wait for 90 minutes to start over.

Bottom Line - The new front loaders use time to get water and electricity savings. They also are easier on clothes and use less detergent. But, the expenditure of time (productivity) to go green is generally not a good idea. The manufacturers need to do better.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't figured out if I can interrupt my new dishwasher, like if I realize I forgot to put something in a few minutes after I've started it. I guess I might do a test sometime, but it seems wasteful and annoying.

    With my old primitive one, I popped it open and closed it back up, and it was still in the same place in the cycles dial. With the new on, it's running or it done, no indication of what it's doing.

    And the clean button stays on after it's finished, even if I've emptied it and have been putting dirty dishes in there.

    Well, not exactly an energy topic, more like user interfaces going backwards topic. Which reminds me, the new trend towards light type on a light background in websites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya...don't get me started on ms office 2007. And Vista. They are clearly out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete