Saturday, March 21, 2009

Programmable thermostat - and other lies

I purchased my programmable thermostat about eight months ago. I started using it in late summer when judicious use of the air conditioner can provide some pretty big savings.

First I read the package and marveled at how this simple device could save me up to 30% on my utility bills. All I needed to do was install it and turn my temperature up in the summer and down in the winter. But of course we could do that anyway, and, what they were suggesting was something like 65 in the winter and 78 in the summer.

Maybe it was seeing Jimmy Carter in the white house in a cardigan that did it, but it turned me against being cold in my own home. And being hot might be worse because you can only take so many clothes off before everyone, including your neighbors, are uncomfortable.

But back to the thermostat. The real value isn't your house being hot and cold when you're there, awake, it's for when you're gone or asleep! You have to buy the better ones so you can program awake and asleep as well as home and away AND have it be different for different days of the week. I bought the Honeywell because who else make thermostats?

Bottom Line #1 - Don't believe the lies on the box unless you like being naked at home in the summer. However, these thermostats pay for themselves quickly in energy savings even while keeping you comfy, if, they are programed properly to fit your lifestyle.

One thing they do is keep the temperature accurately. That way you will be less inclined to "adjust" the temp based on a moment of warmth or chilliness. The new ones like mine actually anticipate the time to cool or warm the house and start prior to the time you set. We set ours to warm the house early in the morning for showers and dressing and then readjust for the rest of the day.

These devices also have separate cool and heat settings. When you switch to one or the other you aren't try to figure out what's comfortable...it already knows. When the seasons change you are ready without wasting energy tuning for a couple weeks.

Bottom Line #2 - I saw real savings, but it's difficult to quantify. We were more comfortable as well, but that is subjective. If it saves 5% on your bill, it's a steal. Get one, a good one, as soon as you can and consider it your own personal smart grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment