Friday, March 13, 2009

Recessed lighting

When I purchased my house it had many old style recessed ceiling fixtures. After the remodel, I had added a large number of new recessed lighting in the form of "can" lights. All of these fixtures, old and new, penetrate into the attic space.

I also had new insulation added which was blown-in cellulose. After reading the fine print on my new can lights (25 total) it says you can't pile insulation on them or next to them! Too hot, so we don't.

Now, jumping forward to today, it's apparent I have made a huge energy mistake. I have holes cut in my ceiling where thin metal boxes with holes in them for ventilation pass air in large volumes from my attic to my living space. The good news is, TXU sends me a picture of the coal mining family that I am responsible for feeding and clothing.

So, how to fix it?

In most of these cans I use hot halogen bulbs. The option of ignoring the fine print and just covering them up doesn't exist. Next I hear that some people build insulated boxes around the fixtures in the attic...but you still have to cut a hole for ventilation??? That's a lot of work and expense for insulated but unsealed lights.

So I look up my manufacturer and what do I discover? They make cans that are air sealed and can be covered with insulation!

Bottom Line #1 - Can lights can be a real problem and if you are considering them for your home get the sealed ones that can be in contact with insulation (IC rated).

Now I have considered changing all my bulbs to cool running fluorescents and just covering the cans, but that seems irresponsible to any new home owner who might put halogen fire starters back in....

The new can themselves are cheap, $12 each. The decorative trim rings however are around $25. It turns out I could switch the fixture and use the same trim ring! Sweet! But what will the electrician cost? Can I save that much money and how could I figure that out? Hmmmm...

Bottom Line #2 - This will takes some more work but...it does illustrate how easy it is to just waste energy, unintentionally.

2 comments: